Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Livelihood Lost

A few years ago I was home visiting for the holidays and hopped in the car to drive around the big city of Greenwood, South Carolina to find something to take a picture of.  Oddly enough this mill was not hard to find considering it was located just off of main street downtown.  This location just grabbed my eye, not because of the dramatic colors, but because it looked and reminded me of a war zone.  It was the middle of the day while I was there but it was still eerie walking around the rubble.

I took these particular pictures trying to tell the story of an old cotton mill that was the livelihood of hundreds of people in the community.  I just can't imagine how many people walked through these gates for years, day in and day out to provide for their families.  Obviously, no goods are being produced and the jobs are gone, along with them, the identity of a town.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment